aka YA Literature

Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Blue Bloods

Book: Blue Bloods
Author: Melissa de la Cruz
Book Rating: B

Melissa de la Cruz was on an author panel at the TLA Conferece that I really enjoyed. If she worked at my library, she would be someone who would fit right into our lunch/gossip crew.

Blue Bloods is the first book of Melissa De la Cruz's that I have read. She describes it as "Dynasty meets Anne Rice" or "90210 as vampires." Who could resist that description? The book was a fun, quick, teen read, but I felt like it could have been longer with more development. It seemed like she rushed through key plot developments too quickly. She spends more time dropping name brands and describing outfits then she does on developing her story. I did find her explanation of how vampires came into existence very interesting, particularly her explanation of the lost Roanoke colony.

This is a book that teens would enjoy...especially fans of Stephenie Meyer. Although I did not enjoy this book as much as Twilight, I am still hooked enough to read the sequel, Masquerade (releasing today).

No comments: