aka YA Literature

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Food Fear Factor!

On Monday, I put on a Food Fear Factor program for the teens. I have to say, it was one of the most fun programs I have done. I could not stop laughing, groaning, and cheering. We had about 15 teens show up, but only 4 would actually participate after seeing the food on the tables. Let me tell you, those 4 were troopers! They totally blew through the rounds (although we had a few close calls where I thought the nearby trash cans would be put to use). I began to worry that I wouldn't have a clear winner ( I had only two prizes - $10 McDonalds' gift cards). The final round, though, knocked out two of them. I let the "losers" pick out a book to keep, but then I was thinking. What kind of message am I sending when I use books as a consolation prize? Oh well, here are the rounds:

Round 1: spaghettios topped with chocolate syrup and pancake syrup (a la Buddy the Elf)
Round 2: room temperature Spam
Round 3: beets
Round 4: whole oysters (boiled)
Round 5: baby lasagna mixed with vanilla pudding
Round 5: sardines (plain)
Round 6: pickled pigs feet (this is the round that did them in)

All the food was set out in advance and we did not tell the kids what they were eating. I thought Rounds 1, 2, and 5 would be the easiest, but one girls had a really hard time with Round 1 and the mysterious texture of Round 5 grossed a few out.

1 comment:

Cody said...

Wow, that sounds so cool. I'm going to have to try it! You didn't have trouble getting it approved, did you? Any advise?