aka YA Literature

Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Love Sucks

We have a bulletin board outside the library in the hallway. I manage to change it out every month-6 weeks or so and usually do something themed with the season. In "honor" of Valentine's Day, I put one up last week that is black with red lettering that says, "Love Sucks." It has two drops of "blood" dripping from the letters. Around that are book covers from teen vampire love stories. This has been so poular, I cannot even tell you. I pretty much do these bulletin boards because (a) we are in charge of decorating it, (b) I'm creative like that, and (c) it just seems nice to give students something fun and new to look at when they pass by. But this one has lead directly to several checkouts. Almost every day I have at least one person come in and ask for a book that is on the bulletin board. Today I had three people ask about the books. One girl even wrote down 5 titles to inquire about. I had no idea it would be so popular. If I get a chance, I'll try to take a picture and post it.

5 comments:

Cody said...

So, what were to titles posted on the board? I would like to see a pic!

Texasholly said...

Great idea! Makes me wish I was still a YA librarian. That would have been such a fun display to do on a book pyramid!

joanna said...

Great idea! I also think it's nice that your school didn't get bent out of shape over the word "sucks".

Sheryl said...

I was a little worried about using "sucks," but no one has complained yet. One teacher was saying how she was put off when she first read it but then thought it was really cute when she realized what it was. I think the play-on-words makes it less offensive.

Hayward Teens said...

Yes, please do post a photo! Girls at my library love them some vampire romance. Aside from Twilight and Vampire Kisses series, do you have any other suggestions.