aka YA Literature

Saturday, August 11, 2007

Today's Random Thought

I don't know what on earth got me thinking about this, but do you remember that movie with Christian Slater and Samantha Mathis, Pump Up the Volume? The plot outline on IMDB says, "Mark (Christian Slater) runs a pirate radio station and causes an uproar when he speaks his mind and enthralls fellow teens." I was thinking that if this movie were being made or considered today, Mark would probably have a blog instead of a radio program. Although there is something about music and your own voice, so maybe he'd have podcasts instead. But would that really make as good a movie? I can see why Nora/Mathis would be attracted to a radio show, but would a podcast be as sexy? It seems like it might be too "geeky."

On a slightly related note, apparently parents are using facebook pages to call and complain about their children's college roommates. It really is a different world with the Internet.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

I was shocked at the reasons for parents' concern! I assumed they would have problems with images of partying (drugs/alcohol) on the Facebook pages. But, no: "Robin Berkowitz-Smith of Syracuse University says race, religion and sexual orientation are the top three concerns from parents contacting officials there."

I know my parents felt college made me 'too liberal', but I think it's just a matter of perspective. The college experience benefits students by exposing them to other races, religions, and sexual orientations.