aka YA Literature

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Life As We Knew It

I decided to read all of the books on the 2007 Teens’ Top Ten that I haven't read yet so this weekend I picked up Life As We Knew It by Susan Pfeffer. The story is written in diary form by a high schooler named Miranda. Early on in the book, Miranda and her family go outside to watch a meteor that is scheduled to hit the moon. Unfortunately, that meteor knocked the moon out of orbit and closer to the earth. All sorts of natural disasters began to occur: tsunamis, earthquakes, volcanoes, and so forth. Miranda finds herself holed up in a small portion of her house with her mother and two brothers.

I am not the natural-disaster sort of girl. I don't like the movies and I don't normally read the books. However, I could not put this book down. It hooked me right from the beginning. The writing style has a Diary of Anne Frank sort of feel to it. The ending is not tied up in a nice little bow, but I like the way Susan Pfeffer ended it. I think this is a book that even my reluctant readers wouldn't be able to resist once they started reading it.

No comments: