aka YA Literature

Monday, September 17, 2007

Guyaholic

I had been waiting and waiting for Guyaholic by Carolyn Mackler. I listened to Vegan, Virgin, Valentine on audio, but unfortunatley, it doesn't look like Guyaholic will make it to an audiobook. I enjoyed the book and it was fun to read. But . . . I didn't love it. For one thing, I think you will get a lot more out of it if you've read VVV first. A lot of V's characterization, backstory, and the reason I even cared about her came from that book. Honestly, if I hadn't read that first, I'm not sure I would have cared about V at all. I also would have liked there to be more development of her relationship with Sam. I know we get it in flashbacks/memories throughout, but it comes off (to me, at least) more as V obsessing than making me understand and really feel invested in their relationship. In the end, I like how things "worked out" with her relationship with her mom, but (SPOILER ALERT!) I wish things had been somewhat different with Sam. Yes, I love a good romance and think true loves should always end up together (at least at the end of the book's time frame), but it seemed like V still needed a guy. I realize that she realized that it was okay to be with just one guy and she didn't have to sleep around or whatever, but she still seemed to need a guy when maybe it's okay if she is just by herself and happy without a guy at all. Wouldn't Amy have followed a guy to California?

But I did enjoy the book, and it's nice to "know" what happened to V after VVV.

No comments: