aka YA Literature

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

More Stephenie Meyer

Here's an interview Publisher's Weekly did with Stephenie Meyer about The Host. I thought it was interesting that she said this was more about love than about the sci fi aspects of the book and that the story was really a means of talking about how much we take our humanity for granted. I thought there were some really excellent issues in the novel about who we are (ex. How much are we dependent upon our body for who we are? What is a "soul?" etc.). My friend said she didn't like the body that they chose at the end, but I liked it in the sense that it showed how very different bodies can be and how much that impacts us. I have to admit, though, that while I'm not usually one to be so concerned with needing "strong" female characters, I was getting annoyed with just how self-sacrificing and meek Wanda was. And while I enjoyed the book, I don't think there ought to be a sequel. I thought it was complete and satisfying just as it was (in 600+ pages!).

No comments: