aka YA Literature

Monday, May 26, 2008

Dear Magic Blog

Holly and I have sometimes referred to this as The Magic Blog because it has given us some cool opportunities, like when I got to meet Daria Snadowsky. Also, Heather sent me an ARC of Lock & Key that I was so desperate for. So I thought I'd throw this out to the Internet ether and see if anyone can help me out.

I am volunteering to teach English in Poland this summer through the Kosciuszko Foundation, and I have to bring gifts for the 15 students in my homeroom (ages 16-19). Naturally, me being me (ie. a librarian) I was thinking I want to bring them books (They are trying to learn English, right?). But here are my problems in order of importance: (1) I don't think I can afford 15 books; (2) It needs to be pretty "clean" because I don't know these students and I don't want to get the foundation in trouble; and (3) Will teenagers think a book is lame? ("Wow, a book. Gee, thanks. Just what I always wanted from America.")

So...if any reader, author, publicist, publisher, etc. reads this and has books or t-shirts or something along those lines that they'd like to donate to me to give to the students, you would really be helping me out! And spreading the joy of YA lit to Poland!

No comments: