aka YA Literature

Friday, July 20, 2012

Zombie Kid Diaries: Playing Dead

Zombie Kid Diaries: Playing Dead by Fred Perry and David Hutchison isn't my usual reading fare.  It's more middle grade oriented, and it's heavily illustrated.  It's about wimpy middle schooler Bill Stokes who suffers from normal middle school insecurities and bullying.  To add to those issues, Bill's mom one day feeds him something for breakfast that, he eventually figures out, is slowly turning him into a zombie.  He has terrible BO (from his rotting zombie flesh), pussy pimples, and a taste for rotten meat.  You might think becoming a zombie would help him in his battle against the school bullies, but you have to remember that zombies don't exactly run very fast.  His best weapon might be his terrible odor.  Oh, and he's trying to win a local video game tournament.

It's rather hard for me to give an opinion on this book because I know I'm not the target audience.  I found it kind of dull and gross, but I'm not a middle schooler.  The gross descriptions and pictures of "zombie zits" would probably appeal more to them than they did to me.  I imagine with the popularity of Diary of a Wimpy Kid and zombies, it would be popular with the middle school crowd.  The sequel, Zombie Kid Diaries: Grossery Games, comes out at the end of the month.

No comments: